Negarestan Garden Museum
Negarestan palace or garden was founded by order of Fath Ali Shah, Qajar King, at 1843-1849 as a summering place out of capital.
For presence of paintings and various depictions of king and his courtiers in various buildings, the garden was called “Negarestan” [location of depictions and designs/garden full of colorful vegetation]. The garden covered vast area at its earliest time; according to Qajar documentations its southern gate was at north of Baharestan Square, whereas it was limited eastwardly to Shemiran Gate, and westwardly to Safï Ali Shah street.
There were various glorious buildings and halls in the garden-palace including “Delgoshä Building” [lively building], “Audience Hall”, “Ghalamdän Hall” [penholder hall], and several spring houses. The garden was seen many historic-political events such as murdering magnanimous politician, Mïrzä Abu al-Ghäsem Farähänï by Mohammad Shah and his men.
When Näser al-Dïn Shah at 1905 developed Tehran, the Garden entered to urban areas and by reducing its political significance was eventually entrusted to various cultural organizations. By Mozaffar al-Dïn Shah, following Europe, the first Iranian academy of agriculture under “Mr. Duscher” and “the Academy of Fine Industries” under Kamäl al-Molk were established at Negarestan Garden. At 1928 “E’temad al-Dolah Qara Gozlü”, secretary of “Ministry of Culture” considered the garden as permanent academy for “Där al-Moallemïn-e-Älï” [Advanced training center of teachers]. Then a plan of advanced academy was designed and executed by Russian refugee architecture, “Nikolai Markof” at northern part of the garden, where he tried to follow Iranian-Qajar architecture style. Within a 10,000 m2 complex, there were built 164 rooms with two great halls. At 1932 “Där al-Moallemïn-e-Älï” was renamed as “Dänesh saräi-e-Älï” [advanced college for training teachers] to train instructors for Iranian new education system. At 1936 the other building, as library, was added to the complex at northeast of the garden where “Parvin E’tesämï”, popular poetess was responsible for it.
Within half a century, many scientific, literary, and artistic figures were educated and taught in the academy, among them were Malak al-Sho’arä Bahär, Käzim ‘Assär, Ali Akbar Dehkhodä, Badï’a al-Zamän Foruzänfar, Ali Naghï Vazïrï, Jaläl Homäi, Saeid Nafïsï, Mahmood Hesäbï, Ibrähïm Pur Davood, Gholäm Hossein Seddïghï, Parvïz Khänlarï, Mohammad Moeïn, Mohammad Ibrähïm Bästänï Pärïzï, Ali Mohammad Kärdän. At 1934 Iranian parliament passed a rule to establish “University of Tehran” and later some faculties went to present campus. Since 1956 several institutions including ” Dehkhodä Lexicon Institute”, “Geography Institute”, “Foreign Languages Institute” and general classes of literature faculty was held in the garden, and finally at 1958 the garden was entrusted to “Social and Cooperation Research Institute” by Dr. Gholäm Hossein Seddïghï.
After transferring faculty of social sciences and cooperation from the garden and destructing some parts of the, university authorities considered remains of the garden as ” Museum of Glories and History of University of Tehran” that resulted to preservation and restoration of the place which is in progress. Museum of Glories and History of University of Tehran is now opened.
Negarestan Garden is recorded as national monument under no. 2082.